Written October 15, 2011.
Tagged #Advanced Custom Fields, #Beta, #wordpress
With no custom tables, all the data is wp native which means better compatibility across servers / websites and other plugins. Beta testing will start shortly, after which, a RC version will be available, and then the full version via the wp plugins website.
Currently, there is no update script from v2 to v3. This is to avoid the many problems that come with updating data. Depending on how well beta testing goes, I will attempt to write an update script. For now, think of this as upgrading from Expression Engine 1.7 to 2.0, its a completely new build!
ACF v3.0.0 beta 2 will include an update script from v2.x to v3. Initial testing has shown very promising with 100% of data migration success! v3 will copy across all yoru acf data into the new format but the beta versions will not delete the old data. Please backup your database before running the upgrade. Thanks
How to help
You can help make ACF better by downloading and installing the v3 beta (link below). Please make a note of any problems you com across, then head over to the support forum category for v3 beta and create a topic with a good description of the problem. Please look to see if your problem has already been listed to save doubling up of topics.
Write like this:
I created a field group with a repeater of wysiwyg and images. I have assigned the group to a custom post type “Project” and a taxonomy of “Website”. When I add a new Project and select Website as a taxonomy, the fields don’t show up. I removed the taxonomy rule and tested adding a new project and it worked! I think there is a problem with the taxonomy rule. Thanks
Not like this
The taxonomy doesn’t work. You said it would. I’m going to use magic fields.
- ACF doesn’t use any custom tables anymore! All data is saved as post_meta!
- Faster and more stable across different servers
- Drag-able / order-able metaboxes
- Fields extend from a parent object! Now you can create you own field types!
- New location rule: Taxonomy
- New function: register_field($class, $url); (tutorial is on it’s way)
- New Field: Color Picker
- New WYSIWYG Options: Show / Hide media buttons, Full / Basic Toolbar buttons (Great for a basic wysiwyg inside a repeater for your clients)
- Lots of bug fixes
What’s new in beta 3?
- Text field decodes html entities for api (you can type in html into a text field and it will render as html when called via the api)
- Text domain lang files are now named incorrectly (translations should work? maybe?)
- Options page fancybox is working again
- Default Values work (default now works with repeater sub fields!)
- Upgrade script works with options values
- Upgrade script works with repeater fields
Please find the links to download the v3 releases